Place your Ads Here

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Conjugal frailties

Ha!
The highs and lows of this roller coaster ride are beginning to wear me out
Of course the negatives stare at me in the face
The clichéd thought of marriage being a bed of roses evaporated from my mind since I was twelve
No doubt,  its sweet when it is with the right person
Like the light and sweet crude of the Jubilee Field
Oh! My shug, Kwame, is even sweeter
I was convinced that I loved you enough when I married you;
Waking up next to you every time, that is a dream come true.

So now we are done with the big day,
With my dearest mother placing my crown on my head like the princess that I am
My first love, my only papa walked me down the aisle first,
And then you took over, to help me through this journey; the journey of life.

The glitz and glamour only pop as memories in my mind now.
My favourite colors spring up all over my mind
I still have memories of the guests leaving with their well wishes 
Leaving us all alone to figure how to run the school we signed up for,
As the learning and the learned.

Today, I have all your movements wrapped around my fingers
Well, so I think!
Your space is mine, and mine is yours
The sparkles have left me
The flame has passed 
The butterflies are gone.

My feelings for you have not changed
But Elikem! 
Ah! Elikem has awoken me from my slumber, 
A slumber I knew not I was in
His mastery of the subtle art of turning me on marvels me
His demeanour, his perfume, his words… ughhh!!
Pleasing are his words to my ears
His attention, my regular body massage
Ever so slowly penetrating my skin
His voice; my ever soothing oil

My preferences seem to be changing,
And the little things you do sting the most, my dearest Kwame.
Your countless grammatical errors give me a headache
The way you mention Cedis is disgusting
Your rigged jeans aren’t rigged to my satisfaction,
You don’t shut the WC the appropriate way
And to be honest, I don’t know when you started using feminine cologne
You always leave your clothes in a heap, and that upsets me,
Your dislike for brushing your teeth at night,
And then kissing me at dawn makes me want to puke.

You see, you’ve lost the art of turning me on,
But if I say familiarity breeds contempt, that would  be way too cross.
The surprises are gone 
The excitement is gone
You turn the lights of during sex
And your inability to explore and exploit my body freaks me out

Keeping my virginity for myself was definitely worth it,
But you make me wonder if I married right
Your promises -- none have you honoured

I miss you, but I am caught in my web,
Try as might, I cannot disentangle myself 
I like this guy,
I really like the way he does his things
I like his bald head
I like his glasses
I like his skin 
His grammar is perfect
He is divine

You may satisfy your desires by assuming every rumour to be true
But, before you go, do set me free from this tie that binds 
It demands so much of me
So much that I cannot give in this contemporary age.



By: Amanda Dzifa Alokpa

No comments:

Post a Comment