Place your Ads Here

Friday, June 7, 2019

D-BEES IN A HUSTLERS WORLD?

You have no idea how disappointed I am in myself for displaying such inconsistency. I know! No one who calls himself a writer should ever leave his readers thirsty and his skills, hanging. But believe me when I say I was swamped. Not wholly with academic or any other physical work, but mentally swamped with conflicting questions, depression and so much I’d be sharing with you in subsequent posts. But for today, let me share with you something interesting that has been well recognized but somehow misunderstood in our Ghanaian social world.

So yes, the topic had to be framed in a question. why? Because I wasn’t sure of the right topic to give this piece but I was really certain of what to write about…LOL. To those of you who aren’t familiar with the term “D-bee”, it's simply a popular name here in Ghana given to kids from rich families or kids who aren’t used to the “typical” Ghanaian hard life. It translates in full as "Dada Ba". Believe me when I say I’ve spent many a time observing and trying to understand how people are able to determine if one is a “D-bee”. 

Frankly, the definition cuts across as people perceive “D-bees” in different ways. I for one have been referred to many times as a D-bee…it still continues though. Apparently, some of the signs that I gave off to be seen as one begins with the way I speak. Yes. English is an apparent tongue of every “D-bee”. Again, to those close to me, I show off more signs when it comes to food…. I am very picky. And most importantly, my choice of music, games, my act and somewhat, my thinking (All affiliated to how supposedly a white child would behave or the foreign culture). Funny right?

Well, in as much as 90% of it might be true, I’ve come to understand that it’s actually not these things that identifies one as a D-bee in the Ghanaian society; rather the privileges a child is exposed to. let’s take a look at this. Everyone bears truth to the cliché that all fingers are not equal. And knowing very well how our fathers and mothers had struggled at their time and fought so hard to make it and live the comfortable life they enjoy now, it’s all not the same for every parent. 

Be that as it is, no parent would want his or her child to struggle as much as they did and will therefore give their child the life they never had – the sweet and comfortable life. Of course, our privileges as young ones would differ because our parents’ jobs and financial stability are respectively not equal. Not to downsize those with less privileges, but my major point here is, so far as every parent is making an effort to give his or her child the good life they never had, everyone is a D-bee.



Yet again, I might just understand some of our “hard guys” and “not-so-D-bees” out there. There are just some irritating characteristics of some D-bees that would almost want you to beat the hell out of someone’s child. Trust me! I’ve lived with some. For as long as I can remember, I have had some disrespectful encounters with some D-bees who could insult me and be like “you can’t do anything to me cause my dad is this or that” and some others could be so mean to you with their so-called “i-have-more-than-you” attitude. Looking back now, I laugh at those times because it was indeed much like the white middle school and high school movies we’ve watched…LOL! Don’t even get me started on the childish show-off competitions that existed back then. It still happens…. I think.

Regardless, it’s all to no end if you’re privileged to have more than others but pride around with disrespect and indiscipline - one thing I would like you to take from this. So my D-bees (all readers), there you have it. another word from Abraham’s voice. Kindly do well to share with another D-bee (friend). As of my consistency, I’ll do my very best to keep up. Stay tuned for another great piece.

2 comments:

  1. This is my personal observation and opinion but some of our "hard guys" and "not so d-bees" out there are extremely arrogant and disrespectful. They do have ugly personalities and also engage in some childish show-off competitions. So, the characteristics above cuts across all strata of soceity being it
    rich or poor not necessarily the d-bees

    ReplyDelete